Your Cricut Explore Winter Scene Snow Globe
If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind gift to hand make this Christmas, then you need not look any further than this super-cut mini scene snow globe.
This teeny-tiny abode has been created using the Cricut Explore Air 2 (it can also be created on the Explore, Explore Air and Maker machines too) and the Design Space software, and can be made in any colour or texture of cardstock you like!
Top tip: Use the leftover components to whip up additional snow globes for all the family!
- The term ‘Cricut Explore’ refers to all the Explore machines: Explore™, Explore Air™, Explore Air 2™ and Explore One™.
- Design Space how-to-make instructions are for an iPad.
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Explore™ / Maker™ machine. Open a new project. In images, search for ‘House box’ and select the below project.
2. Drag a box over the entire image and re-size the project to 7.8cm wide in the ‘Edit’ menu, the image will then proportionately size itself to 10.7cm in height.
3. Ungroup the image; to do this select ‘Ungroup’ from the ‘Actions’ menu from the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Once complete select the top half of the image by clicking on it then select detach from the ‘Actions’ menu.
4. Select the main red body of the image once more and select ‘Hide Contour’ from the ‘Actions’ menu.
5. The below box will then pop up. Select the gum-drop door shape from the image so that it becomes greyed out. To exit this pop-up, click onto the canvas.
6. Drag a box over the top half of the image so that both the main body of the house and the score line/s are selected. Select ‘Attach’ from the ‘Actions’ menu.
7. Select the bottom half of the image and select ‘Duplicate’ from the ‘Actions’ menu.
8. Detach the middle image section, then repeat steps five to six, this time hiding the roof section in the ‘Hide Contour’ menu. You will also need to select the corresponding score line on the roof, to do this you’ll need to click back onto the canvas and select the score lines layer and then go back into the ‘Hide Contour’ tool.
9. Repeat the same process for the bottom image section, this time hiding the main body of the house leaving just the roof, making sure to reattach the score line once finished.
10. Select the roof section, and open up the layers menu. Click the arrow to the right of the image and change the colour of the roof to a dark brown; this will ensure this part of the design cuts from a different colour of cardstock.
12. Select ‘Make it’ from the bottom right-hand corner.
13. Open the mats tab at the top of the screen and change the paper size to 8.5 x 11” on both mats. Select continue and follow the on-screen instructions to set the machine to the correct materials setting (cardstock if using a Cricut Explore Air 2 and Medium Cardstock if using a Cricut Maker) using white cardstock to cut out the main body of the house, and kraft card for the roof.
14. Assemble the house using a glue pen. To secure the house to the base of the snow globe add foam pads to the underside. Secure two mini bottle brush trees in the same way, if you would like you trees to be different heights, simply use a pair of wire cutters to trim away the base.
15. Add a tablespoon of faux snow into the globe, and then push the base into the bottom.
16. To complete the snow globe, secure the lid in place and run a strip of double-sided tape around the edge. Adhere a length of jute ribbon along with a bow. This could also be done use a hot melt glue gun.