Your Cricut Explore Soft Fox Toy
This adorable little soft fox toy is easily made from fabric of your choice using the Cricut Maker™ and the online software, Design Space™. With the Makers rotary blade, fabric and felt are easily cut into the required pattern pieces with minimal waste using this Simplicity pattern. The pattern pieces can be marked with their pattern number using the fabric washable pen to make assembling super easy. This feature can be switched off if it is not wanted.
- Cricut Explore Maker™ Machine »
- Cricut Design Space™ online software on pc/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android »
- Cricut 12” x 12” fabric (pink) grip cutting mat »
- Cricut 12” x 24” Fabric (pink) Grip Cutting Mat »
- Cricut Washable Fabric Pen (optional) »
- Cricut Brayer & Remover Set »
- Cricut Papercrafting Tool Set – piercer; piercing mat »
- Hobbycraft Fat Quarter Bundle – Hessian Natural »
- Hobbycraft Fat Quarter Bundle – Hessian Anchor »
- Acrylic Felt Cream »
- Acrylic Felt Black »
- Heat N Bond Ultra »
- Soft Toy Filling »
- Black Solid Plastic Eyes with Shanks »
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android device, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Maker™ machine. Search for and select the ‘Fox’ project from the sewing category of the Design Space™ Ready to Make projects.
2. Read all the on-screen instructions and the pdf file containing the sewing details (click the link within the on-screen instructions).
3. Click ‘Make it’. On the preview screen, move the ears on to a separate mat; these will be cut from bonded hessian fabric.
4. Switch off the fabric pen marking if this is not required.
5. Cut the darker hessian fabric to 8” x 22” / 20.3cm x 55.9cm.
6. Using a domestic iron, apply Heat n Bond Ultra to the reverse of a small piece (approximately 3” x 2” / 7.6cm x 5.1cm) of the pale hessian fabric; enough to cut two ears.
7. Cut the pattern pieces from the relevant fabrics; selecting the appropriate material setting for each and loading the correct housing and blade: the hessian and felt are cut with the rotary blade and bonded hessian with the premium carbide blade. Make sure to place the fabrics right-side down on to the cutting mat using the brayer to ensure good contact.
8. Use the remover tool to carefully lift each cut piece from the cutting mat.
NOTE: It is not necessary to clean the threads from a fabric grip cutting mat, just replace the dust cover when not in use.
9. Follow the pdf assembly instructions to sew the fox together; first stitching the face and nose on to the fox front piece then applying the toy screw eyes; use a domestic iron to apply the bonded fabric ears.
Top Tip: Use the piercing tool and piercing mat to make a hole through the felt and fabric before inserting the eye screw post.
10. Once turned through, stuff the fox using toy polyester filler, using a wooden skewer or knitting needle to push the filling into the ears, arms and legs. Hand-stitch the turning hole closed.
11. To create the bow tie search for and select the ‘Bear Bow Tie’ project from the sewing category of the Design Space™ Ready to Make projects.
12. Read all the on-screen instructions and the pdf file containing the sewing details (click the link within the on-screen instructions).
13. Click ‘Make it’.
14. Switch off the fabric pen marking if this is not required.
15. Cut the fabric to 9” x 15” / 22.9cm x 38.1cm. Cut the pattern pieces from the hessian anchor fabric using the rotary blade; selecting the ‘cotton’ material setting. Place the fabric right-side down on to the cutting mat using the brayer to ensure good contact.
16. Use the remover tool to carefully lift each cut piece from the cutting mat, then follow the pdf assembly instructions to sew the bow tie together. Use a wooden skewer or knitting needle to turn the pieces right-side out.
17. Sew the bow tie to the middle of the long tying piece: this allows it to be tied around and be removed easily. Tie the finished bow tie around the fox’s neck.