Your Cricut Explore Inspirational Notelets
There’s not much the Cricut Explore Air 2 can’t do; it cuts, scores and even writes! With this in mind we set ourselves the challenge to create three quick-to-make everyday notelets, using cardstocks, vinyls and vellum, that can be made time and again for all manner of occasions.
“You’re Amazing” Notelet
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Explore™ / Maker™ machine. Open a new project. Add a hexagon to your Design Space Canvas from basic shapes and resize it to approximately 3.3cm / 1.3” wide x 3.8cm / 1.5” high. Duplicate the image to give six hexagons.
2. Cut six hexagons from gold, white and turquoise cardstock as well as pink vinyl (apply this to white cardstock before cutting) from the Home Sampler.
3. Trim a piece of white cardstock to 11.5 x 15cm. Place the cut hexagons on top of the panel to create a pattern, ensuring no two of the same colour hexagon are positioned next to each other. Once happy with the arrangement, secure the hexagons to the cardstock with a glue stick, use foam pads on some of the shapes to create height within the piece. Place to one side.
4. Start a new canvas in Design Space and add two text boxes, one with the word “You’re” and the other “amazing”. Amend the Font name to ‘Base Camp’ and resize the text to 31pt. Select the advanced option at the top of the screen to alter/reduce the spacing between each of the letters. Repeat the same process for the word ‘amazing’ using the ‘Soiree Lettering Grace Script and size 54pt.
5. Create a rectangle measuring 1.6 x 8.3” from basic shapes. Overlay the rectangle centrally on top of the text, and select ‘Send to Back’ from the Arrange drop down menu.
6. Select all of the components and select group and attach from the option at the bottom of the screen on the right-hand side.
7. Insert the 1mm black pen into the Cricut Explore Air2 machine, and follow the on-screen prompts to commence creating the greeting.
8. Once complete, remove from the mat from the machine and place to one side, leaving the vellum attached to the mat to allow the ink from the pen to dry.
9. Trim a sheet of dark blue cardstock to 12 x 15.5cm. Layer and secure the hexagon panel on top of the blue card with foam pads.
10. Wrap the trimmed vellum centrally around the bottom of the card, securing on the back of the blue panel with tape.
11. Apply the stacked panels to a 5 x 7” card blank, trimmed down to 12.5 x 16cm.
“Enjoy the Little Things” Notelet
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Explore™ / Maker™ machine. Open a new project. Search for and select the ‘Enjoy the little things’.
2. Resize the image to approximately 9cm / 3.6” wide x 8.5cm / 3.4” high.
3. Cut the image from gold glitter vinyl.
4. Once complete, remove the cut image from the cutting mat using the spatula tool. Use the weeder tool and Bright Pad to remove the unwanted glitter vinyl from the cut image.
5. Use strong transfer tape to position the words on to a piece of white cardstock measuring 10(W) x 9.5(H)cm, and round the corners with a craft punch. NOTE: To avoid the card surface piling, only press the transfer tape down on to the card where there is an underlying image. If the card does pill, gently rub the surface to make it smooth.
6. Apply blue vinyl to a sheet of white cardstock and trim to 11(W) x 10.5(H)cm with the Cricut machine. Round the corners once more with a craft punch.
7. Trim a 5 x 7” card blank to 11.5(W) x11(H)cm. Apply the blue panel centrally with double-sided tape, matting the greeting panel on top with foam pads.
“Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful” Card
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Explore™ / Maker™ machine. Open a new project.
2. Insert a square and resize it disproportionately to create a rectangle measuring approximately 8(W) x 10(H)cm.
3. Create the text “Believe your own kind of Beautiful” and select a font: this project used Elizabeth.
Resize the text to fit the rectangle.
4. Cut the rectangle from fabric (stabilise first and place on a standard grip cutting mat if using the Explore™ machine; use the fabric grip mat and rotary blade with the Maker™) and the wording from black iron-on vinyl LITE (remember to mirror image!). TIP: Use the XL applicator tool to apply the cardstock, paper or vinyl to the standard grip cutting mat to ensure good contact. Use the brayer to apply the fabric to the cutting mat.
5. Use the weeder tool and Bright Pad to remove the unwanted iron on vinyl from around the cut greeting. Then use the Easy Press (following the Quick Reference Chart), or iron and press cloth, to apply the wording to the fabric rectangle.
6. Secure the fabric to a piece of white cardstock cut to the same size (you could use double-sided tape or stitch the fabric). Create a frame from gold cardstock measuring 8.5(W) x 10.5(H)cm with a 5mm border. Apply a sparing amount of tacky glue to the reverse, then position centrally over the top of the greeting to frame it.
7. Create a new canvas in Design Space. Select “Images” from the left-hand toolbar, then search for ‘chevron’ in the search bar. Select the below design.
8. Resize the design to 5” square and cut from cardstock.
9. Trim a 6” square card blank down to 13.5cm square with a paper trimmer. Cover the front of the card blank with turquoise cardstock then add a panel of white cardstock measuring 13cm square.
10. Add small foam pads to the back of the chevron design, making sure they stat hidden from view when viewing the card from the front. Remove the adhesive backing from the pads and stick to the card front.
11. To complete the design, add the previously created fabric panel at a slight angle.