How to Make a Strawberry Clay Bowl
This cute little strawberry clay bowl is perfect for storing special trinkets. As the clay needs to dry overnight, the making and decorating parts need to be done in two separate craft sessions.
- A4 piece of paper
- Cling film
- Rolling pin »
- Blunt knife
- Cereal bowl
1. Cut a large oval from paper to create a template – it should be about 15cm long. Roll out 200g of clay between two layers of cling film, to about 5mm thick. place the template on top of the clay and cut around it with a blunt knife. Smooth the clay with your finger dipped in a little water.
2. Take the template and cut the top quarter away with a zig zag line to create the green top to the strawberry. Roll out the remaining clay between cling film as before, and place the new template on top. Cut out and press it in place onto the strawberry.
.3. Use the cling film to pick up the clay strawberry and place it into a bowl. Press down gently so that it forms the shape of the bowl. Leave for a few hours to harden, then lift out the bowl, remove the cling film and leave overnight to dry out.
4. Once dry, paint the back of the bowl and the main part of the strawberry red, then paint the top green. Add tiny black lines all the way over the red then set aside to dry.
5. Draw our your initial in pencil in the centre of the strawberry. Fill it in carefully with black paint.
6. Finally, add a layer of gloss varnish to the bowl for extra shine.