How to Make a Chunky Crochet Mug Cosy
Keep your hands, and your drink, all warm and cosy by making a chunky crochet mug cosy. You can adapt the pattern to fit your favourite mug, and they make great little presents too!
Pattern by Linda Carney
2 x Chunky Yarn »
4.5 mm Crochet Hook »
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- tr = treble
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- slst = slipstitch
- Turn with 2ch at end of each row (note: the number of stitches and rows can be adjusted to the size of the mug).
- Using ivory, make 11ch
- Row 1 – work 1tr into 4th ch from hook and into each of remaining ch. (9sts). Row 2 – work in tr. (9sts).
- Work another 15 rows, or as many as necessary to fit neatly round the mug, omitting turning ch on last row.
- Fasten off.
- Attach raspberry yarn to end of last row and work 1dc into same place.
- Work (1ch, 1dc into next row end) along the long side of mug cosy, 2dc into corner space, 1dc into each of next 6sts, 2dc into corner, then work (1ch, 1dc into next row end) along the other long side of cosy to end. Work 2dc into the corner and 1dc into each of next 3tr.
- Do not fasten off, to make loop – work 1dc into next tr, 12ch, 1dc into same tr.
- Work 1dc into each of next 3tr and 1dc into corner.
- Slst to 1st dc of row to complete round.
- Fasten off.
- Sew button on opposite end to loop.
- Weave in all loose ends.