How to Sew a Space Themed Wall Hanging
Blast off on some starry adventures with this easy to create space wall hanging! Follow the tutorial below to find out how easy it is to make this cosy comforter.
Tutorial created by Lesley Foster, provided to Hobbycraft by Craft Cotton Co.
A piece of fabric for the back of the hanging measuring 45×54 cm »
Batting piece 45×54 cm »
Batting for backing the planets and rocket 30 x 30 cm »
1. Select the constellation pattern fat quarter and trim to 45×54 cm; this will form the background for the wall hanging.
2. On paper draw out a rocket outline and cut out with a 0.5 cm seam allowance from the grey planets fat quarter.
3. Draw out rocket details (window, side boosters, base booster, booster flame) on to paper and use these templates to cut out from the blue with white stars, blue planets, and green moon fat quarters.
4. Cut out a curved section (20 cm long 14 cm high) from the green moon fat quarter to go in the bottom right corner as a large planet, and a circle from the same fabric with a 10 cm diameter for another planet.
5. Take the blue and grey planets fat quarters and cut out some of the planets.
6. Cut out some stars from the grey planets fat quarter.
7. Cut out batting to go behind the large planet, large circular planet, rocket, rocket window, and some of the small planets. Cut this batting slightly smaller so you wont see the edge of it once sewn onto the hanging.
8. Take the large circular planet and add on sew on some crater circle details.
9. Sew on all the details to the rocket placing the batting under the window, and then sew the rocket, planets and stars onto the background fabric making sure to put the batting under the planets you have opted to put it under.
10. Get the back fabric piece and place right side down, place the batting on next then the front piece on top right side up. Pin to secure.
11. Make binding from all the fat quarters by cutting 6 cm wide strips and sewing together to give a total length of 260 cm. At one of the ends, fold over the top right edge to line up with the bottom edge to create a diagonal and press. Next fold the strip in half long ways and press.
12. Place the binding with its raw edges against the raw edges of the hanging and pin to secure. Sew around 1 cm from the edge.
13. Fold the binding over the edge of the blanket to the back, pin to secure then slip stitch around.