How to Sew a Patchwork Fan Purse
Create this fan purse using patterned fat quarters of your choice from our huge range online and in store at Hobbycraft! Attach a zip and perfectly functional pencil case, make up bag, or clutch! Follow the tutorial below by Lesley Foster.
Pink Fabric cut to 40 x 40cm
Batting cut to 40 x 40cm
Dark Blue Fabric cut to 10 x 10cm
Zip » – 18cm
1. On a piece of paper draw two lines 20 cm long then draw a curved line to join the two and create a circle quarter. Draw another curved line 5 cm from the bottom left corner to create a smaller circle quarter. Split the larger circle quarter into 4 and cut out to create your pattern pieces.
2. Cut out the fabrics using a 0.5cm seam allowance and use the fat quarter fabrics for the larger circle quarter section pieces (2 pieces from the same fabric pattern for each section so you have a front and back piece) and the dark blue fabric for the smaller circle quarters (2 of these so there is one for the front and one for the back). Layout the fabric pieces so you have a front and back.
3. Take the front fabric pieces and sew the larger circle quarter section pieces together by placing the first two sections right sides together and sewing down the side edge, repeat with the remaining section pieces. Press. Take the smaller circle quarter piece and pin along the bottom edge of the larger circle quarter and sew to secure. Repeat for the back.
4. Cut out two pieces of batting which are the same size as the front and back patchwork pieces. Take the front piece and one of the batting pieces and add quilted detail by sewing down the larger circle quarter lines. Repeat for the back piece.
5. Take the front and fold the top edge over by 1 cm. press. Place the zip so it’s side edge is positioned under the folded edge and pin. Sew to secure. Repeat for the back piece.
6. Fold so the front and back pieces are placed right sides together and pin. Sew around the edge to secure. Turn out the right way.
7. Take the pink fabric and cut out two pieces from this that are the same size as the completed pouch. Place them right sides together and sew along the curved edge and down one side leaving on side unsewn. Fold over the top edge by 1 cm and press. Without turning place the lining into the completed purse and sew around the top edge to secure.