How to Make Scones with Jam and Cream
Follow this classic recipe and learn how to make the perfect scones – the traditional British sweet summer snack! Use Bakewell Non-stick baking paper to ensure a seamless bake from start to finish.
If you’d like to make your own jam, use the following recipes on the Hobbycraft blog:
350 g Self-raising Flour
85 g Butter
175 ml Milk
3 tbsps Caster Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder »
1 tsp Vanilla Extract »
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Juiced Lemon or 1 tsp Lemon Extract »
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 / 220*C / 425F.
2. In a large bowl mix together: 350g of self-raising flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt.
3. Add to this 85g of butter and mix together using your fingers, stirring in 3 tablespoons of caster sugar.
4. Pour 175mls of milk into a jug and heat in the microwave until warm Add to the milk 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and leave to the side.
5. With the dry mix make a hole in the middle and add the milk mixture, combine both together with a spatula.
6. Spread some flour on to the work surface and scoop out the mixture onto it. Fold the dough 3-4 times until its of a smooth consistency.
7. Pat dough into a round 4cm deep tin.
8. Using a 5cm smooth edged cutter, dip into the dough and repeat until four scones are formed.
9. Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg.
10. Use Bakewell baking paper to line a baking tray and place the scones on top.
11. Bake for 10 minutes until they have risen and slightly golden on top.
12. Enjoy the scones warm or cold, topped with jam and clotted cream.