How to Make Potted Carrot Cupcakes
These quirky carrot cupcakes cases are made from silicone which means that you can bake the cupcakes in the oven in the cases. The carrot cupcakes made by our lovely baker at The Espresso Kitchen, Fran. She has used a carrot cake sponge in the case and then cream cheese frosting on top topped with crushed chocolate biscuits and handmade fondant carrots, delicious!
Total time needed : 1 hr 5 minutes
Prep time : 10 minutes
Baking time : 20 to 25 minutes
Decorating time : 20 to 30 minutes
Skill level : Intermediate
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 85 grams Self raising flour
- 85 grams Plain flour
- One tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Half a tablespoon ground ginger
- Half a tablespoon ground nutmeg
- Half a tablespoon bicarbonate soda »
- 100 milliliters Vegetable oil
- 115 grams soft brown sugar
- Two eggs, lightly beaten
- 60 milliliters golden syrup
- 250 grams carrots, grated
- 30 grams sultanas
- 12 silicone plant pot moulds »
For the Cream Cheese Icing and Decoration
- 60 grams Butter, softened
- 200 grams Cream cheese, chilled
- 400 grams Icing sugar
- One teaspoon vanilla extract »
- Renshaw Ready to Roll Icing in Green and Orange »
- Five crushed chocolate biscuits
- Kitchen Scales
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Blunt knife
- Preheat oven to 170°C, and line a 12-hole muffin tin with the silicone plant pots.
- Sift the flour, spices and bicarbonate soda in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk the oil, eggs, sugar and golden syrup and gradually mix into the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the grated carrots.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 12 silicone plant pots until three quarters full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the cream cheese frosting beat the butter until a creamy consistency has been achieved (it is important that the butter is at room temperature), then add the cream cheese until just combined (be careful not to over beat the mixture) and finally the vanilla extract, and combine.
- To make the carrots for the top of the cupcakes; roll out some balls of orange fondant and shape into a cone. Using a modelling tool or blunt knife, score lines into the carrots, making a small hole in the top of each to insert the leafy carrot tops.
- To make the carrot tops roll out some green fondant into small balls. Roll into a teardrop shape, dab some water into the top hole of the carrot and insert the green teardrop shape.
- Place the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag fitted with the Wilton nozzle. Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcake and sprinkle crushed chocolate biscuits on top.
- Make a small hole in the cupcake using a straw, and insert the fondant carrots.