How to Make Ombre Cupcakes
I love to bake and I’m always looking for different ways to decorate cakes and cupcakes. I recently discovered the Wilton Color Swirl which allows you to pipe three different colours of frosting, icing or buttercream at the same time!
As ombre is still a huge trend, I decided to make up three different shades of pink icing to make some pretty pink ombre cupcakes, and it took next to no time at all! Much easier than the stress (and mess!) of trying to get all three different mixtures into the same bag, and hoping all three colours don’t mix together.
Suitable for : Beginners
1. Start by evenly dividing your frosting/buttercream between three bowls, and using your chosen food colouring (I used pink) to colour it, making sure that all three bowls are three distinctly different shades.
2. Push one of the three coupler pieces down into one of the piping bags as far as it will go, and snip the end using a pair of scissors so that the coupler is poking out of the end of the bag.
3. Repeat step two for the remaining two bags.
4. Connect the three coupler pieces together, they should easily slot into place. Then place your chosen nozzle into the purple ring, and secure it to the couplers by twisting the ring until it will twist no more.
5. Fill each of the bags with your frosting, making sure to squeeze down to the bottom of the bag, ensuring you’ve not got any air bubbles.
Top Tip!…I found it easier to fill the bags with the frosting when I had an extra pair of hands to help me. Alternatively you could use a tall glass, with the nozzle resting on the bottom of the glass, to support the bags whilst you are filling them up.
6. Once each of the bags are full, grip all three bags in one hand and twist the top of the bags together to squeeze the icing down the bags, until it starts to come out of the nozzle slightly.
7. Then it’s time to start piping! Start in the middle of the cupcake, and squeezing the bags gently , work your way outwards in a spiral motion, until you reach the edge of the cupcake and then stop squeezing.
8. Repeat this process with your remaining cupcakes.
The end result!