How to Make Mini Gingerbread House Cupcakes
Christmas goes miniature this year, with these totally adorable mini gingerbread house cupcakes! This fun twist on a Christmas classic, the gingerbread house, is a great way to try out making gingerbread, paired with a reliable favourite, the humble cupcake!
For the Gingerbread
- 125g Butter
- 110g Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 375g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 3 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 175g Golden Syrup
- House template »
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C or 160 degrees C for Fan assisted.
2. Beat butter, sugar and egg with mixer until smooth.
3. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and syrup in 2 batches. Divide into workable amounts.
4. Roll out in between 2 lots of parchment to 5mm thickness.
5. Cut out a set of house templates (remember there are some shapes that require 2 pieces).
When cutting out the templates cut one side a little longer and bend it back to create a flap to pull the template from the gingerbread.
6. Place the sheet with the cut out templates on an oven try and bake.
7. Remove from the oven, recut around the templates if their shape has distorted while baking.Wait to cool
8. Fix together with royal icing and pipe extra decoration on the roof and front if you wish. Leave to set.
9. Pipe your buttercream or frosting onto your cupcakes using whatever style you prefer – we chose to use a ruffled tip.
10. Top your cupcake with one of your mini gingerbread houses and finish off with a sprinkling of sugar crystal ‘snow’.