How to Make Lemon Duffins
These treats are a dreamy blend of doughnuts and muffins – filled with a sweet lemon curd in the middle, and a frosted sugar exterior. Follow the recipe below to find out how to make your very own – perfect for a tea party!
150g Self Raising Flour
115g Lightly Salted Butter
150g Caster Sugar
1 x Large Egg
225ml Whole Milk (8 fl.oz)
150g Lemon Curd (5oz)
100g Caster Sugar (3 1/2 oz)
75g Lightly Salted Butter (3 oz) melted
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, 375°F, gas mark 5). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until light and creamy. Whisk in the egg and lemon extract.
3. Sift the self raising flour on top, and mix together, gradually adding all the milk, to make a smooth, thick, batter.
4. Divide the mixture between the muffin tins, smooth the tops and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until risen to a dome and firm to the touch.
5. As soon as the muffins are cooked, turn them onto a wire rack. Put the lemon curd into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2inch) wide plain metal nozzle and inject each one through the side with the lemon curd.
6. To decorate, while the muffins are still warm, put the sugar on a plate. Working on one muffin at a time, brush all over with melted butter and roll in the sugar to coat. Put back on the wire rack. Your cakes are now ready to serve warm or allow to cool completely.