How to Make Gold Leaf Ceramic Baubles
Go luxe this Christmas with gold leaf ceramic baubles! It doesn’t just have to be for artists; gold leaf can be used in your home decoration just as easily, and it works really well for adding a bit of metallic glam to your baubles. Once you get the hang of how to apply it, it’s a breeze, so don’t let the thought put you off – it’s achievable even for beginners!
- Soft Brush »
1. Paint the top half of the baubles (you should take the string out first).
2. Now paint the bottom half of the baubles. Use an egg cup or similar to balance the bauble on to paint it. Repeat steps one and two until evenly coated.
3. Paint the bottom half plus a bit more of a bauble with the gilding paste. Wait 10 to 15 minutes – you can rest the bauble on an egg cup.
4. Tip the gold flakes into a bowl and when the ten to fifteen minutes are up, dip the bauble into the gold flakes. Make sure that all the gilding past is covered. Use a soft brush to brush off the excess.
5. Using a towel, rub the bauble quite hard to take off any small bits of gold that are sticking out and to shine the gold up a bit.
6. If there are any obvious gaps that you want to fill in then just paint on a bit more gilding paste, wait the ten minutes and repeat step five.
7. Tie the strings back onto the baubles.