Cricut: How to Make Festive Stag Wall Art
Create this fun stag wall art frame for a stunning festive gift or decoration for the home. It is made using decorative papers, vinyl, cardstock and glitter cardstock and cut using the Cricut Explore Air™ / Air 2™ / Maker™ and its on-line software, Design Space™.
Please note: The term Cricut Explore™ applies to any of the Explore machines: Explore™, Explore One™ or Explore Air™.
- Cricut Explore Air™ / Air 2™ / Maker™ machine »
- Cricut Design Space™ online software on pc/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android »
- Cricut 12” x 12” standard (green) grip cutting mat »
- Cricut Vinyl, Berry Red »
- Cricut Standard Grip Transfer Tape »
- 12 x 12” Winter Woodland Paper Pack »
- A4 White Card »
- A4 White Glitter Card »
- 20 x 20cm Pine Box Frame »
- Red Glitter Pompom »
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android device, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Cricut Explore™ / Maker™ machine. Search for and select the ‘Fa La La Wall Art’ project in the Design Space projects. Click ‘customise’.
2. Delete unwanted layers leaving three deer layers and one ‘Fa La La’ layer. Change the colour of one deer layer so that it will load on to a different cutting mat and can be cut from a different material.
3. Add a square to the canvas using ‘shapes’. Resize the square to 21.5 x 21.5cm. Change the colour of the square to make the overlaying image easier to see.
Top tip: Measure the frame back for the exact measurement required for the backing paper.
4. Resize the deer and text images as required by first highlighting the image and then dragging the corner point. The size appears in a black text box as the image is altered. This project sized the deer image at 16.1(W) x 17.7(H)cm and ‘Fa La La’ to 15.5(W) x 4.6(H)cm.
5. Cut the images from the required materials: the square from decorative paper, two layers of the deer in white cardstock, one deer layer in white glitter cardstock and ‘Fa La La’ from red vinyl; adjusting the materials setting as appropriate.
Top tip: Use the XL scraper tool to apply the materials to the cutting mat to ensure good contact and no air bubbles. Use the spatula tool to carefully remove the cut images, minimising damage to both the image and the cutting mat.
6. Glue the two cardstock deer layers together, exactly aligned, using tacky glue. Glue the deer head centrally to the decorative paper followed by the glitter cardstock on top. Use a hot melt glue gun to attach a red pom pom for the deer’s nose.
7. Dismantle the wooden frame, carefully removing the back. Position the embellished decorative paper inside and reassemble the frame. Clean the outside glass.
8. Using the Bright Pad and weeder tools, carefully remove the unwanted vinyl from the cut text image.
9. Use standard grip transfer tape to position the red vinyl text around the deer image on the glass, following the packaging instructions.