How to Make Fanciful Floral Biscuits
Get in the mood for afternoon tea with these stunning fanciful floral biscuits – you’ll be reaching for the special teapot in no time once you’ve whipped these up!
Create these beautiful flower biscuits using the on trend ‘Brush Embroidery technique’ using buttercream. These deliciously tempting treats will add a touch of handmade flair to teatime!
- Flower nail »
- Wilton Tip 102 »
- Wilton Tip 3 »
- Wilton Tip 2 »
- Wilton Circle Cutter »
- Medium flower cutter » (smaller than above Circle cutter)
- Wilton 9in Angled Spatula »
- Wilton Roll-N-Cut Mat »
- Wilton 9inch Fondant Roller » (Purple Guide rings used)
- Wilton Brush Set »
- Wilton 12in Disposable Decorating Bags »
- Waxed Paper »
- Wilton Cookie baking tray »
1. Make 5-petal flowers 1 day in advance. Prepare royal icing following recipe directions. Divide icing in half, tint half of icing violet and the other half blue. Cover flower nail with icing flower square or wax paper cut to size. Use tip 102 and violet or blue icing to pipe 5-petal flowers. Use tip 3, cut disposable bag with coupler and matching colour icing to pipe dot centres. Let dry 24 hours on waxed paper-covered surface. Reserve remaining royal icing.
Royal Icing Recipe
3 table spoons Wilton Meringue Powder
450g icing Sugar
6-7 tablespoons Water
Beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer until icing forms peaks and loses its sheen: 7-10 mins for a stand mixer, 10-12 mins for a hand mixer.
2. Make cookies. Prepare biscuits using the following roll out biscuit recipe directions. Use circle metal cutter to cut biscuits. Bake and cool biscuits.
Wilton Roll Out Cookie Recipe (makes about 36 cookies)
350g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
115g unsalted butter, softened
300g white granulated sugar
1 large free range egg
1 1/2 teaspoons Wilton Pure Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoon Wilton Almond Extract
Preheat oven to 180ºC.
In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture 100g at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls.
3. Decorate biscuits. Prepare buttercream icing following recipe directions. Use 9 in. fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick. Use circle metal cutter to cut fondant circles. Use spatula and buttercream icing to ice biscuits. Position fondant circle on biscuit. Use a medium sized flower shaped cutter to imprint flower shape on fondant circle. Use tip 2, cut disposable decorating bag and thinned violet or blue royal icing to outline two petals at a time. Use brush to make brush embroidery design. Repeat until all petals are piped and brushed. Let dry. Use tip 2, cut disposable bag and thinned violet or blue royal icing to attach 5-petal flower to centre of the biscuit.
Buttercream Icing recipe
140g solid vegetable shortening
150g butter, softened
800g sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 tablespoons water to achieve consistency (add more as needed)
Mix the butter, shortening and vanilla essence until fluffy. Add in the icing sugar 100g at a time adding water to achieve desired consistency to spread onto the biscuits.