How to Make Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches
Beat the summer heat with these yummy doughnut ice cream sandwiches! Sweet homemade chocolate doughnuts are sliced and filled with ice-cream, making these a special treat for summer BBQ’s or kids birthday parties. Mix and match ice cream flavours and have fun decorating these doughnuts with a collection of Wilton sprinkles. A fun project to do in the kitchen with the kids, these are sure to become a summertime family favourite!
1. Preheat oven to 200°c. Coat doughnut pan with Wilton Cake Release.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In medium microwave-safe container, combine 80g Candy Melts and butter. Microwave at half (50%) power 1 minute; stir. Microwave on 50% power in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melts are almost melted. Stir thoroughly until mixture is smooth. In medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs and melted candy melt mixture. Add sour cream mixture to flour mixture; stir until just combined. Fill each doughnut cup approximately 3/4 full.
3. Bake 9-11 minutes or until tops of doughnuts spring back when touched, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
4. Melt remaining candy according to package instructions. Dip tops of doughnuts in candy and sprinkle with sprinkles. Let stand until set, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Slice doughnuts in half lengthwise. Fill with small scoops of ice cream. Serve immediately or wrap securely in plastic wrap and freeze up to 1 week.