How to Make Clay Unicorn Tree Decorations
Unicorns are a trend that’s here to stay, so why not create your own set of unique unicorn tree decorations to add some personality and sparkle to your Christmas decor this year? Follow the tutorial below to see how easy it is.
1. Take roughly 500g grams of clay in either colour and roll out until 1.5cm thick using the rolling pin.
Top tip! It’s advisable to work on a non-stick surface. Tape a smooth plastic bag to your desk for a quick non-stick option.
2. Use the unicorn, flower, and rain drop cutters from the cake decoration set to cut out sections of clay.
3. Remove the excess clay and roll out again to cut out more designs until all is used up. Add some water to a small pot and smooth over the clay design using your finger to soften the corners and remove any lumps and bumps.
4. Use a knitting needle or pencil to poke holes through the top of the decorations – ensure these are big enough for the cord to comfortably fit through, allowing for shrinkage as the clay dries. To keep the strength in the clay, ensure that the holes are at least 0.5 – 1cm away from any edges. Then leave to dry for at least 24 hours.
5. Once the clay is completely dry, use sandpaper to smooth the clay out some more, concentrating on the edges.
6. Paint all decorations with a base of white acrylic paint and leave to dry.
7. Paint on the surface of each design using silver and blue acrylic – or colours of your choice! Then once dry, thread through the silver cord, tie in a knot, and then your beautifully unique tree decorations are ready to hang!