How to Make Christmas Character Doughnuts
Have a bit of fun with confectionery and make some yummy Christmas character doughnuts – perfect for kids, and great for an easy party treat! If you don’t have time to make your own doughnuts, you could use ready made ones and follow the instructions for decoration.
For the Doughnuts
- 225g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 175g caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 30g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract »
- Wilton Mini doughnut pan »
For the Icing
For the doughnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C/Gas 3. Spray the doughnut pan with Wilton Bake Easy Spray.
2. Take a large bowl, and sift the flour, baking powder and salt into it. Add the sugar and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, beaten egg, melted butter and extracts together and add this to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
4. Using a teaspoon fill each of the doughnut cups around ¾ full with the batter. (Do not overfill otherwise the doughnuts won’t have holes!)
5. Place in the oven and bake for about 8 minutes, or until firm, and springy. Cool slightly. Turn the doughnuts out and arrange on your cake stand or plate.
For the Icing
6. Make 15 red noses, each with 3g of red fondant by making small balls and then rolling in the sparkle sugar. Set aside.
7. Make 15 carrot noses, using 2g each of Orange fondant by rolling little cones. Set aside.
8. Cut the Pretzels to resemble reindeer Antlers and lay in pairs ready to use.
9. Prepare a cooling grid with a sheet of greaseproof paper underneath. This will catch any drips of melted candy and will save on mess!
10. Melt the first packet of light cocoa candy melts in a small sized deep bowl as per the packet instructions.
11. Add some vegetable oil a tablespoon at a time until you get a smooth consistency that runs off a spoon.
Do not use Sunflower oil as this gives the candy melts a more flowery taste.
12. Place the 1st doughnut into the melted candy and gently push it down until completely immersed. Using the fork underneath the doughnut, gently lift it to the surface. It should be completely covered in candy. Let the surplus run off and then gently transfer to the cooling grid.
13. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, gently press the antlers into the doughnut, add the eyeballs and a red nose in the centre of each donut. Leave to set completely.
14. Repeat this for half the doughnuts (reserving the other half for Olaf!) adding more melted candy from the second packet as needed.
15. Repeat as above using the Bright White Candy Melts. Once placed on the cooling grid add the carrot nose and the eyeballs. Add a little row of Black Sugar pearls for the mouth if desire – although they look just as nice without!
16. Repeat on the remaining doughnuts and leave to set completely