How to Make BFG Ears
If you don’t have a lot of time to whip up a costume for World Book Day, these how to make BFG ears are a quick way to become the friendliest giant of them all! All you need is some felt and a headband, then finish off the look with a shirt, green trousers and a waistcoat if you have them.
Skill Level: Beginner
Time to Make: 45 minutes
- PVA Glue »
1. Print and cut out the ear template, using paper and scissors.
2. Fold the A4 sheet of felt in half. This is to allow a gap in the centre to thread the headband through and makes the ears a more sturdy double thickness. Place the ear template on the fold and as close to the bottom of the felt as possible. This is to allow enough room to cut out the second ear.
3. Use a lead pencil to draw around the outside of the template straight on to the felt. Repeat for the second ear. Cut out both ears ensuring you leave the centre fold as this will form a tube to slide in the headband.
4. Use the off-cuts of felt to create the narrow inner ear parts. Cut these out.
5. Arrange the inner ear parts onto the big ears. When you are happy with their position, glue in place with fabric glue. Leave to dry for five minutes.
6. Place each ear around the headband. The ears need to be positioned quite low down onto the headband to ensure they are in the correct place when worn. When you are happy with the position, use PVA glue on the headband and a generous amount of fabric glue on the inside of the felt ears to glue it all together. Leave to dry.
7. Complete the look with a waistcoat, shirt and green trousers.