How to Make an Insect Mobile
This is a the perfect craft to make with little ones. Create a simple insect mobile made from painted cardboard tubes, pipe cleaners and googly eyes. Hang it from an embroidery hoop or some dowel and let the little creatures buzz happily about.
Suitable for : Beginners
Time Taken: Two Hours
- Cardboard tubes
- Ready craft mix paints (We used yellow, purple and green, black and glitter ones from the Princess and Brights ready mix paints pack)
- Purple, red, blue, pink card
- Pom poms and black and green pipe cleaners (We used a multipack)
- Googly eyes
- Black Duckling Tape
- Embroidery hoop
- Blue embroidery thread
- Black pen
1. Begin by painting three different sized cardboard tubes. Paint the largest one purple for the butterfly, paint the medium sized one yellow for the bee and the smallest one turquoise for the blue bottle.
2. To make the butterfly, cut a piece of purple card for the wings. Fold it in half, open up and then squirt dollops of paint onto one side of the wings. Fold it back together and squash it around to create a symmetrical pattern.
3. Leave to dry, then glue onto the back of the tube. Make two holes near the top of the tube and insert pipe cleaners and curl the ends to create antennae. Glue on googly eyes and draw a smile using black pen.
4. To make the bee, take the yellow painted tube and add strips of black duck tape round the middle. Poke two holes in the back of the tube and push in two black pipe cleaners. Fold them to create wings, then add eyes and a smile as before. Repeat these steps, without the stripes, to make the bluebottle.
5. To make the ladybird, cut two circles from red card. Paint on a black head and spots and draw a black line down the middle when dry. Add googly eyes then glue the two ladybirds back to back with a long piece of embroidery thread in the middle for hanging.
6. To make a card flower, cut out two flower shapes from different coloured card. Glue together at an angel and glue a pompom in the middle onto both sides.
7. To hang the mobile, pierce a hole in the top of each animal and flower. For the tube animals, you need a hole at the top on both the front and back for it to hang even. Feed embroidery thread through each hole with a needle and tie onto the embroidery hoop, arranging each creature at different heights.
For more crafting ideas, baking goodies and toddler activities we’d love you to hop over and visit us at our blog, Little Button Diaries.
Tia & Laura x