How to Make a Zip-free Cushion Cover
If you’ve just purchased your very first sewing machine, you’ll be itching to get making and start creating!
Cushions are a great beginner project for sewers, many people are put off by the thought of inserting an invisible zip, however this cushion is completly zip-free with the fabric cover acting like an envelope for your cushion pad, easy-peasy!
1. Before starting, wash and iron your fabric. This will make sure that when future you washes the cushion cover, no shrinkage or damage occurs.
2. Measure out a square on your fabric that is two inches bigger than your cushion pad and cut. My cushion pad is 17 inches so my square will be 19 inches by 19 inches.
3. Cut a rectangle that is half the width of the square you just cut but keep the same height.
4. Cut another rectangle that is two thirds of the width of the square but keep the same height.
5. These two rectangles are going to form the back of an envelope cushion, to make the edges look nice fold over a quarter inch on one of the sides that is the same width as the square.
6. Sew a straight stitch, as close to the raw edge as possible, on both pieces of fabric. My sewing machine has a repositionable needle, if yours doesn’t then move the fabric until the needle is just on the edge. This makes sure that the fabric doesn’t fray and also gives a nice finish. When you have finished, press both pieces.
7. Lay both rectangles on top of the square (right sides together) and pin all the way round.
8. Sew along all four sides and back stitch when you come to where the back pieces overlap. This will make sure that they are reinforced and won’t pull apart.
9. When you have finished sewing clip the corners, this will make sure that the points are nice and sharp.
10. Turn the cover right way out and use a chopstick, pencil or your finger to push out the corners.
11. When you are happy with your corners, insert the cushion pad and you are done.
Make sure you put the cushion somewhere that guests can admire it, ask you where you acquired it and generally comment on your excellent taste is.