How to Make a Unicorn Shaker Card
If you’ve got a little one with an imminent birthday who loves all things unicorn, then this is the card for them! Personalise the card with pops of colour in the lucky recipients favourite tones or, for a more grown up look add delicate gems to the flower centres and experiment with glitter and metallic cardstocks for the confetti.
1. Take a 5 x 7″ card blank and trim down the front so that it’s slightly smaller than the original size. Cut out the shaker window by leaving a 12 cm border around the top edge and both sides, and measure 6.5 cm up from the bottom edge.
2. Trim down a sheet of acetate to cover the window aperture with enough overlap for gluing. Apply tacky glue around the edge and fix the acetate to the underside of the front panel.
3. Use the remaining parts of the card blank to ink up using four different colours. Apply each colour by pressing the ink pad directly down onto the card a few times. Use two pale pinks, a pale mint and a light yellow colour. Leave to dry.
4. Add 3D foam tape to the underside of the front panel to house the shaker area and bottom section. Repeat to give a double layer of tape everywhere.
Top tip: Rub talcum powder onto the inside edges of the foam tape around the shaker area, this will de-stick the edges, so that the shaker circles don’t get stuck to the sides. Clean the acetate with a damp baby wipe.
5. Punch several small circles from the glitter card. Use a large palm punch to cut three circles from all four previously inked pieces of cardstock, add a few small punched circles from each stamped card too. Gather these onto the main card front.
6. Without trapping any punched circles, fix into place the prepared acetate panel to complete the shaker area.
7. Die cut (from glitter card) the unicorn horn and two outer ear pieces. Use the smaller ear die to die-cut two pieces from soft pink stamped card. Glue the two inner pieces onto the glitter cardstock outer ears. Fix onto the front panel using tacky glue at the base and 3D foam pads towards the top to lift.
8. Using a black ink pad, stamp the ‘Make a Wish’ caption onto white card, and trim into a banner with fish-tail ends.
9. Stamp the eyelashes using black ink onto white card, and fussy-cut them out.
10. Add two pale pink unicorn cheeks, by using a soft pink ink pad stamped onto white card. Leave this to dry before cutting two circles with a medium craft punch.
11. Die cut several large flowers using both colours of pink stamped card. Die cut smaller flowers from the mint and yellow stamped card. Fix these around the base of the unicorn’s horn and ears, some with tacky glue and some with 3D foam pads to add dimension.
12. Decorate the envelope by stamping the ‘You are magical’ sentiment with black ink onto the bottom right-hand corner. Add more coloured flowers using tacky glue to fix them down flat.