How to Make a Stenciled Bugs Tote Bag
If you struggle when it comes to drawing and painting (like myself!), or want to replicate the same image/drawing over and over again, stencils are perfect!
Simply hold or tape the stencil on top of the jute bag and apply the paint. There are lots of different embellishments you can add to make your design really stand out from glitter glue to pom poms.
This is a great making for doing with the kids, can can be used as a book or school bag after it’s complete!
- Felt tip pens
- Piece of scrap card
1. Start by placing the scrap piece of card inside the bag so that when you use the paint it doesn’t go through onto the back of the bag.
2. Place the stencil on the bag and then using a paint brush apply the paint using a ‘dabbing’ up and down motion.
To keep your stencil nice and secure and the free up both your other hand you could use masking tape to tempoarrily secure the stencil to the bag.
3. Carefully remove the stencil and move onto your next one!
If you want to have stenciled shapes overlapping or quite close to one and other make sure to let the first one dry before adding on the next.
4. Using the tacky glue apply the flower embellishments and pom poms along the bottom of the bag to create flowers. I’ve used pretty paper flower, but you could always cut the flowers from felt or foam sheets and add a button in the centre. Leave to dry.
5. Use different coloured green felt tip pens to draw the stem and leaves.
6. I then used pink and white pipe cleaners to make a butterfly to stick onto my bag for an extra three dimensional element. I started by creating two wing shapes out of one pipe cleaner, and then repeating this process with one other. I then folded a white pipe cleaner in half and twisted both ‘strands’ together, stopping a centimetre of so before the end. Glue both pairs of wings down and then add the central body section.
The finished bag!
Even More Inspiration!
There are lots of different shapes you can make with the pipe cleaners, why not have a go at making a charm for your bag? Or, you could even have a go at making the flowers out them. Simply make two petal shapes out of one pipe cleaner, twisting the ends securely at the base. Repeat this process three more times. Using tacky glue secure all of the petals together. Create a coil using a yellow pipe cleaner and glue centrally on top of the petals.