How to Make a Snowman Christmas Cake
Go for a less traditional cake this Christmas, and have a go at this Snowman cake! The kids will love his cheery face, and it’s easy to make – they can even get involved too.
You Will Need
- Cake on a cake board – iced with white icing
- Renshaw ready to roll icing in Baby Blue, Navy, Orange, Black »
- Edible blue glitter »
- Small quantity of royal icing
- Closed star nozzle or cocktail stick
How to Make
- Pizza wheel/cutter
- Sharp knife
- Long ruler or other straight edge
- Take your plain white iced cake. Measure up one side, across the middle and down the other side of the cake. You will need to roll out a long piece of baby blue icing this length. Use the pizza wheel and cut a straight edge.
- Drape the blue icing over the top third of the cake, checking that it reaches the bottom of the cake all around. Trim the excess around the bottom with a sharp knife and use a clean paintbrush and a little cooled, boiled water to moisten the edges of the blue icing to stick it to the iced cake underneath.
- Use a sharp knife to score rows of lines in the icing, and then diagonally, to represent the knitted hat – you can do this freehand as it shouldn’t look too perfect!
- Roll out a long strip of baby blue icing for the rim of the hat – use the pizza wheel and ruler to get straight edges. Brush a little water on the base of the hat before you stick on the long strip.
- Trim the strip to fit at the base of the cake, and then score lines to look like ribbing on the rim of the hat.
- To make a pom pom for the hat, roll a ball of navy icing and prick all over with the pointed end of the closed star nozzle to give it texture. Alternatively prick all over with a cocktail stick. Attach the pom pom to the top of the hat with a blob of royal icing.
- To make the scarf, cut a long strip of navy blue icing using the pizza wheel and ruler, and overlay strips of the baby blue – attach these to the scarf with a little water. Trim off the excess and cut the scarf into 2 pieces. Starting at the rim of the hat, carefully wrap one length of scarf around the base of the cake, attaching with water.
- Then wrap the other length of scarf, overlapping the end.
- Take a square of baby blue icing and cut into it with a sharp knife to make the tassels for the end of the scarf. Attach to the end of the scarf with water.
- Roll a sausage of black icing and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Roll these into rough balls to look like lumps of coal, the more imperfect the better!
- Attach the coal eyes and mouth with royal icing and shape a cone of orange icing for the carrot nose. Use a sharp knife to score lines in the carrot for a realistic look. Attach the nose with more royal icing.
- If liked, you can dust edible blue glitter on the rim of the hat for extra sparkle! Just press it on with your fingertip.