How to Make a Pyrography Chopping Board
If you want to make a special gift for a loved one which will be treasured and used for years to come, look no further than pyrography! Perfect for both male and female gifts, find your favourite wooden blank and create a design – we love this romantic initialled chopping board, which is perfect for presenting food.
Tutorial by Rachel Richardson.
Design software enabling you to reverse your chosen design to print
1. Chose or create your design, and in the settings of your design software, flip the image horizontally and print onto tracing paper.
Top Tip! Check your design is flipped correctly by placing a mirror to the left or right of your design. If you can read it, you’re ready for the next step.
2. Place the ink side of the tracing paper face down onto the board and tape into place.
3. Using the embossing tool, rub over the image gently to transfer the ink onto the board.
4. Peel back the paper and check the pressure you have applied is enough.
Top Tip! If you need to, fill in any gaps with a pencil.
5. Allow the pyrography tool to heat up for approximately five minutes, then begin to burn your design, following the pattern you have traced.
Top Tip! Use a tip you feel comfortable to draw with, you may wish to use a fine tip to begin with, you can build up thickness if you need to later.
6. Add some shading by using the side of the angle tip.
Top Tip! Keep the tool moving and apply very little pressure.
Top Tip! As you burn you will notice some build up on the tip, rub the tip onto the back of an old tea strainer to remove it. Once you have finished burning you may wish to use a sharp scalpel to gently scratch away mistakes or scorch marks.