How to Make a Pyrography Box
Decorate a simple wooden pyrography box, using wood burning techniques. All it takes is some imagination and this heat tool to create something personalised and beautiful, the perfect gift.
Tutorial by Rachel Richardson.
1. Measure the box, use the measurements to help you create a design that will fit. The fonts shown are Clicker Script and Bite_Bullet, you can find free fonts available with a quick internet search. Once created, in the settings of your design software flip the image horizontally and print onto tracing paper.
Check your design is flipped correctly by placing a mirror to the left or right of your design. If you can read it, your ready for the next step.
2. Place the ink side of the tracing paper face down onto the box and tape into place.
3. Using the embossing tool, rub over the image gently to transfer the ink onto the box. Peel back the paper and check the pressure you have applied is enough.
If you need to, fill in any gaps with a pencil.
4. Allow the pyrography tool to heat up for approximately five minutes.
5. Use a fine tip to begin with, you can build up thickness if you need to later. Experiment with different tips to create different effects.
As you burn you will notice some build up on the tip, rub the tip onto the back of an old tea strainer to remove it.
6. Use a sharp scalpel to gently scratch away mistakes or scorch marks.