How to Make a Pink Grapefruit Layer Cake
We were so inspired by all the scrummy fruit and veg inspired bakes on last night’s Bake Off that we couldn’t wait to get in the kitchen – so we asked our friends at Wilton to come up with a tasty layer cake recipe we could try ourselves!
This cake bakes quickly and is easy to assemble and decorate. Using grapefruit juice and zest adds a delightful citrus zing to this summertime cake.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 90ml grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp grapefruit zest, finely grated
- Wilton Pink Gel Icing Colour »
For the Icing
- 140g solid vegetable shortening
- 150g butter, softened
- 800g sifted icing sugar
- 60ml grapefruit juice
- 2 tsp grapefruit zest, finely grated
- Wilton Orange Gel Icing Colour »
1. Preheat oven to 160ºc. Prepare Easy Layers Pan Set with Wilton Cake Release, using a pastry brush.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, butter, grapefruit juice, egg whites, and zest with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Scrape bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Add a small dab of pink colour using a cocktail stick and mix just until colour is combined. Divide batter evenly between pans.
First add a tiny amount of colour and mix, adding more until you are happy. Remember you can put more colour in, but you cant take it out! (Pastel works best with this recipe)
3. Bake 14-16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling grid 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on cooling grid.
4. For icing, beat shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, 100g at a time, beating well on medium speed. Add grapefruit juice, zest and a dab of Orange Colour (see tip above!) Beat until light and fluffy. To assemble, spread icing between layers and thinly on the outside of cake to achieve a ‘semi-naked appearance’ – very on trend!. Garnish with grapefruit peel and fresh viola flowers.