How to Make a Peter Rabbit Costume
This super easy Peter Rabbit costume requires no neatening of seams, and has no hems to worry about, which means it can be made in no time at all! The sizing is for 3 – 4 year olds, who will have great fun wearing it while they are escaping from Mr McGregor!
1.5m Light Brown Fur Fabric (available in store at Hobbycraft)
1m Light Blue Felt (available in store at Hobbycraft)Download Pattern Template
The seam allowance is 3/8″ and is included in all pattern pieces. The right and left fronts of the jacket and waistcoat use the same pattern pieces as they are both exactly the same, all you need to do is mirror them.
- With selvage edges and right sides together fold fur fabric in half. Lay out and pin the pattern pieces for main jacket on fabric as shown ensuring the direction of the fur is laying downwards. Cut out pattern pieces making sure you cut out 2 ears.
- With right sides together sew shoulder seams and side seams .
- With right sides together sew along the long curve of the hood which goes from the front to the back carefully matching the selvidge edges at the front of the hood.
- Next you need to attatch the hood to the jacket – so with right sides together pin the bottom hood seam to the centre back of jacket and pin the front edges of hood to the front edges of jacket – then gradually pin the hood in place around the neckline. Sew.
- With right sides together sew both ears. Turn inside out – you may need the help of your scissors to reach the pointed ends.
- Lay the inner ear pattern piece on the folded white felt and cut out.
- Pin the inner ear single felt piece to the outer fur ear and hand sew in position taking care to only sew through one layer of outer ear.
- Position and hand sew the ears on either side of the hood.
- Fold blue felt with right sides together in half widthways. Lay out and pin the pattern pieces for the waistcoat onto the felt as shown . Cut out the pattern pieces.
- With right sides together sew shoulder seams and side seams.
- Pin the pockets in position on either side of the fronts of waistcoat and either machine or handsew in position.
- Sew the three buttond equally spaced apart on the rightside of the waistcoat.
- Position the waistcoat over the top of the jacket and use running stitch to sew in place around armholes, back neck edge and approx 1/4 way down either front of neck edge leaving the rest of the waistcoat unattached so that it hangs nicely.
- Finished – off goes Peter Rabbit!