How to Make a Mixed Media Travel Scrapbook Cover
Create a special one of kind mixed media scrapbook cover with Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Polish, Metallic Gilding Flakes and Pixie Powders. To complete the look add a plethora of fussy-cut papers and a handful of stamped images, and you’ll have yourself a special album in which to record your summer holidays.
- 8 x 8” White Scrapbook »
- ‘Explore the Globe’ 6 x 6” Paper Pad »
- Papermania 6 x 6” Capsule Smooth Premium Cardstock Colossal »
- A4 Watercolour Paper Pack »
- Cosmic Shimmer Flake & Glitter Glue »
- Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes ‘Golden Jewel’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish ‘Gold Treasure’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish ‘Silver Dream’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish ‘Ocean Teal’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish ‘Pearl Lustre’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder ‘Peacock Green’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder ‘White Pearl’ »
- Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder ‘Rich Gold’ »
- ‘Travel Stamps’ Embossing Folder »
- Bold Alphabet Wooden Stamp Set »
- Compass Wooden Stamp »
- Mr & Mrs Wooden Stamp »
- Contemporary Camera Wooden Stamp »
- Suitcase Wooden Stamp »
- Globe Wooden Stamp »
- ‘Story Begins’ Wooden Stamp »
1. Gather your supplies; spiral bound scrapbook album, cardstock, patterned paper, stamps, embossing folder and Cosmic Shimmer Gliding Flakes (and glue), Metallic Gilding Polish and Pixie Powder.
1. Use a piece of foam (I used a Tim Holtz ink blending sponge) to apply the Cosmic Shimmer Flake & Glitter glue in a thin layer to the stamp. Stamp your image on to cardstock.
Note – Clean your stamp immediately with soapy water to remove the glue. The glue remains tacky so you have time to clean your stamps first.
2. Pick out gilding flakes and place them over the stamped image and rub them over the top. Add more flakes to get a good coverage.
3. Gently rub a sponge scourer (the kitchen variety is perfect) in a circular motion to remove any flakes that aren’t adhered to the glue. Fussy cut the stamped images.
Metallic Gilding Polish
1. Emboss a piece of cardstock with the Travel Stamps embossing folder.
2. Use the foam applicator in the top of the Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish pot to apply a thin layer of the gilding polish over the embossed panel. Less is more when using the Metallic Gilding Polish, scrap off any excess product on the side of the glass pot. The Gilding Polish also dries quickly, so other colours can be applied over the top without the risk of smudging.
Pixie Powder Watercolour Basckground
1. Turn the Pixie Powder bottle (we used Peacock Green, Rich Gold and White Pearl) upside down and tap the bottom to release the product into a pot, add water and mix. Use a wide brush to paint the watercolour wash over a piece of watercolour paper that has been cut to size.
2. Before it’s dry, lighty tap the base of the Pixie Powder bottle to add fine speckles of colour on the wet paper. Leave to dry. Add gold gilding polish around the edges of the paper.
Assembling the album cover
1. Select some patterned papers from the ‘Explore the Globe’ 6 x 6″ paper pad and fussy-cut maps, tickets, luggage etc from them. Also cut out the frame piece from the patterned paper with it on.
2. Layer up the album cover; watercoloured base layer, patterned paper with fussy cut maps tucked underneath, embossed panel, fussy cut frame piece with die cut. Adhere the patterned papers at angles.
3. Add in the other fussy-cut ephemera pieces by tucking them under the frame. Stamp the scrapbook title, use one of the Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polishes to create the first word, then stamp the second word using the Gilding Flakes in the glue and gilded with the flakes.Glue the fussy-cut stamped pieces on top of the album cover.
Hints and Tips
- Wash your stamps immediately when using the Cosmic Shimmer Flake & Glitter Glue with soap and water to remove the adhesive.