How to Make a Football Cake
Create this impressive, round sponge cake decorated to look exactly like a football! Perfect for the keen footballer, or the perfect centrepiece for your world cup party.
- 290 g butter
- 290 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 290 g self-raising flour
- 145 g plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
2. Grease and flour a small set of ball or Christmas pudding shaped tins
3. Cream the butter and caster sugar together.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour between each.
5. Sieve the plain flour and self-raising flour together. Fold into the mix.
6. Divide the batter into the two halves of the tins and bake for approximately 25 minutes until a cake skewer comes out clean.
7. Leave cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out on the wire rack and leave to cool completely.
1. Sandwich the two halves together with raspberry jam and Renshaw Vanilla Frosting.
2. Coat the top and the sides of the ball cake with the vanilla frosting.
3. Knead and roll out the green icing on a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar.
4. Dampen an 8″ cake board and cover with the green icing. Stipple with a wire brush to create a grass-like effect.
5. Knead and roll out the black and white icings on a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar.
6. Cut black pentagons and white hexagons from the rolled out icing and stick them in place on the cake. You may find that as you get further down the cake the pieces don’t fit very well, and you may need to stretch them to fit.
7. You may find that as you get further down the cake the pieces don’t fit very well, and you may need to stretch them to fit.
8. Place the ball onto the green cake board, securing in place using royal icing.