How to Make a Floral Pyrography Trinket Box
Take the time to create a special trinket box with a folky floral design, perfect to enclose a special gift this Mother’s Day. Pyrography is a simple technique to learn – follow along with the tutorial below to find out how to transfer and burn your design into the wooden blank.
1. Trace around the box onto tracing paper. This will allow you to sketch designs knowing they will fit the box. Once you have your finished design trace over it with a pen.
2. Turn the tracing paper over and pencil over the design so it is completely covered. Turn the tracing paper to the correct side and tape it into place.
3. Using the pencil trace over the pen marks to transfer the led from the reverse side of the tracing paper onto the wooden box.
Top tip! Apply light pressure at first as you do not want to leave any unwanted indentations in the wood from mistakes.
4. Allow the pyrography tool to heat up for approximately five to ten minutes. Use a pointed tip to begin with, as it will create a fine line.
Top tip! As you burn you will notice some build up on the tip, rub the tip onto the back of an old tea strainer to remove it.
5. Once you have finished burning the outline you can changed tips to a thick one and colour in some of the petals and leaves.
Top tip! Use a rubber to erase any pencil marks that can be seen. You may wish to use a sharp scalpel to gently scratch away mistakes or scorch marks.