How to Make a Felt Applique Cushion
Learn how to make a felt applique cushion and make good use of either off-cuts of fabric, or felt sheets by turning them into contemporary patterned cushions. For a more coordinated effect, try hand-sewing the pattern onto plain cushions using contrasting thread. To vary the look, try using a few different-shaped cushions for a really original finish. Perfect for those with a little knowledge of how to sew!…
- Cut one piece of cream coloured felt 41 cm x 41cm for the front panel.
- Download the felt applique cushion template. Use it to cut the coloured felt shapes, pin and stitch in place. Sew on sequins, mirror rims and buttons.
- Cut two further pieces from the cream coloured felt, one at 41 cm x 20 cm, one at 41 cm x 33 cm. Pin and machine stitch a hem along one long edge of each piece and press.
- Overlap these pieces so that when pinned they form the envelope back of the cushion, measuring 41 cm square.
- Place the front panel on top of this (right sides together) pin, then machine stitch around the outside.
- Snip triangles from the corners to reduce bulk, then remove pins and turn right side out.
- Place cushion pad inside the cover.