How to Make a Cracked Egg Chick Bonnet
This Easter chick bonnet shows an egg gradually cracking and hatching a chick! It’s a bit crazy, so kids will love it. It’s a great one for them to get stuck into with plenty of gluing and sticking.
- Yellow bonnet »
- 3 white foam egg shapes* »
- 4 yellow foam egg shapes* »
- 1 sheet each of A4 yellow » and orange craft foam »
- Yellow », purple » and green feathers »
- Felt flowers »
- Easter craft pack »
- 4 pairs of large googly eyes »
1. Cut 6 wing shapes from yellow foam and 4 small triangle beaks from orange foam. Stick 2 wings onto the back of one of the yellow foam egg shapes, on each side, using double sided tape. Repeat to create two chick shapes.
2. Glue two large googly eyes onto both the chicks. Cut 4 small triangles from orange foam for beaks. Glue two of these on to each chick. Glue a little yellow feather to the back of both the heads.
3. Bend 2 yellow pipe cleaners into bird feet shape (see picture for reference). Glue these onto the back of the 1st chick. Secure with masking tape to keep in place whilst the glue dries.
4. Cut one of the white foam eggs in half with a zig-zag pattern and glue the bottom piece onto the bottom of the chick without feet. Add cracks onto the shell using a brown pen. Keep hold of the top piece to attach to the rim at the end.
5. For the third chick, cut into a white foam egg with jagged lines to remove the centre. Glue it on top of a yellow foam egg and add cracks using a brown pen. Attach eyes and a triangle foam beak as before, and tape one wing onto the open side.
6. For the last chick, cut a white foam egg down the middle with a jagged line. Glue the bottom onto the remaining yellow foam egg. Attach the remaining beak and wing to the back of the top egg piece – it will need to look like it’s peaking out. Glue the top egg onto the chick and add brown cracks as before.
7. Use double sided tape to attach the chicks onto the hat. Glue purple and green feathers in between the chicks. Attach the top piece of egg saved from step 4 onto the rim of the hat, next to the chick it belongs to!
8. Finally, glue felt flowers and pom poms onto the rim of the hat.