How to Make a Checkerboard Father’s Day Cake
Our friends at Wilton have got you sorted with this yummy cake that’s perfect for whipping up last-minute when you need a gift for Father’s Day! What Dad doesn’t love cake?
Simple and classic, this Father’s Day Cake is perfect for the ‘outdoor’ dad! Easily adjusted with slightly different illustrations to suit other pursuits, past times or occasions you can personalise it to your own special dad.
Favourite vanilla sponge mix » or recipe (4 lots needed)
Wilton White Ready-to-Use Decorator Icing » or butter cream (2.4kg icing needed)
1. Make sponge cakes according to packet instructions. Following Checkerboard cake instructions make a three layer checkerboard cake using your desired colours – we have used shades of green to compliment the ‘great outdoors’ theme.
2. Trim and stack the sponges according to the packet instructions.
3. Cover the cake with the Creamy Decorators Icing and smooth the finish using the palette knife.
4. Pipe your designs using the black ‘Ready to Use Icing’ icing and the number 3 piping tip, all over the cake.
Top Tip! Practice piping your pictures and writing onto a sheet of baking parchment first. Remember you can design different pictures to suit different interests!
5. Pipe Happy Father’s Day onto the top of your cake.