How to Bake a Chocolate Dinosaur Cake with Dr. Oetker
Create a truly ROARsome party to remember with this delicious dinosaur cake recipe provided by Dr. Oetker! Use cue wafer dinosaurs to add a edible decorative touch to the top of a crumbly biscuit Jurassic landscape.
200g Unsalted Butter, melted
100ml Vegetable Oil
300 ml Water
150g Soured Cream
400g Plain Flour
100g Caster Sugar
250g Light Brown Sugar
100g Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 x 8″ Cake Tins »
- Preheat your oven 180 C/160 C fan oven/gas mark 4. Grease and line 2x 8 inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter and oil until blended. Add the water then whisk again until well blended.
- In a jug beat together the eggs, Vanilla Extract and soured cream. Add to the butter mix and whisk again.
- In a separate bowl mix together the remaining sponge ingredients add the wet ingredients, whisking until well combined.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until cooked. To test if the cake is cooked insert a skewer and if it comes out clean then the cakes are ready.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and cool in their tins for 30 minutes then remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, separate 3 tablespoons of Chocolate Buttercream place in a bowl and save for later.
- Once the sponges are completely cooled place one layer of the cake onto a cake board or plate. Spread a third of the Chocolate Buttercream over the top then sandwich together with the second layer. Take the remaining Chocolate Buttercream and cover the cake starting at the top and working your way down the sides.
- To make the chocolate mud slide drip – break up the Dark Chocolate into a heat proof bowl and place in the microwave and heat in 30 second bursts, stirring between bursts until it is all melted. Be careful not to overheat the Dark Chocolate as it will split and become grainy.
- Let the Dark Chocolate cool a little then spread over the top of the cake using a spoon – allowing the melted chocolate to drip over the sides of the cake.
- Take your chocolate chip cookies and crush them, not too finely, keeping a few larger chunks.
- Take your reserved Chocolate Buttercream and spoon three mounds onto the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the crushed cookies on the top of the cake and around the base.
- Then take your Wafer Dinos and place each one on top of a Chocolate Buttercream mound to finish your cake.