Cricut: How to Make Personalised Gym Wear
Creating personalised clothing is a doddle when you’ve got your Cricut Machine and EasyPress to hand. Cricut’s SportFlex vinyl is ideal for adding your own stamp on gym clothes, as it’s been specially designed to stretch with you and your clothes, and best of all there are over 30 different colours to choose from!
1. Using your iPad, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Cricut machine. If using a Cricut Explore Air 2 make sure the Smart Dial is set to ‘Custom Materials’.
2. Open up a new project and click on ‘Text’ button located in the menu at the bottom of the screen. Once the text menu pops up, type ‘Chloe’ in the search bar and select the font highlighted below.
3. Type your name of choice in the text box that appears on the canvas.
4. Select the name and click on ‘Ungroup’ from the ‘Actions’ menu at the bottom of the screen. This will enable each of the letters to be moved individually so that they ca be moved closer together and become a flowing joined up letters rather than separate.
5. Move the letters one at a time, overlapping them slightly so that the font becomes joined. We’ve left the first letter of the name singular but it could be joined if you wish.
6. Once happy with the position of each of the letters, select ‘Weld’ from the ‘Actions’ menu at the bottom of the screen.
7. Measure the height of the bottle to determine the size your name needs to be. Open the ‘Edit’ menu at the bottom of the screen and add the dimension into the width box, ensuring that the padlock symbol is locked (this will enable your name to re-size proportionately). Double-check that the measurement that populates into the height box is okay for your bottle, if not simply adjust accordingly.
Top Tip: Make sure to note whether your canvas is set up in inches or centimetres, and ensure you carry out your bottle measurements in the same.
8. Once happy with the size of the name select the ‘Make It’ button from the bottom right-hand corner. You will then be taken through to the mat preview screen. Double-check that everything is present and correct before hitting the ‘Continue’ button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
9. Once through to the cutting screen, click ‘Browse Materials’ and type ‘vinyl’ into the search bar and select ‘Premium Vinyl’ from the search results. Follow the on-screen instructions to cut out the design.
10. Once cut, carefully weed the design using the BrightPad and weeding tools. Use transfer tape to apply the name to your bottle.
Top Tip – Leave the bottle for at least 48 hours before use, to allow the adhesive on the back of the vinyl to fully adhere to the bottle. Then hand wash your bottle.
- Follow step 1 – 6 included in the how-to make instructions for the water bottle. On reaching step seven, measure the area on the top where you would like the name to appear and resize as desired.
2. Select ‘Image’ from the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and type ‘Butterfly’ into the search bar. Select the below design and click ‘Insert’ located in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
3. Select the ‘Actions’ icon from the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Click on the butterfly and select the ‘Attach’ button. This will cause all of the components that make up the butterfly to turn one colour, which means it will be cut from one material.
4. With the butterfly selected, re-size the butterfly as desired by dragging the arrow button in bottom right-hand corner of the image.
5. With the ‘Actions’ menu and the butterfly selected, click on ‘Duplicate’ twice to create two more identical butterflies (or as many as you like!).
6. Re-size these as desired and position around the name where you would roughly like them to be.
7. Once happy with the size and positioning, select ‘Make It’ from the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. You’ll then be taken through to the mat preview screen. Open the mats menu by clicking on the mat icon in the top left-hand corner of the screen (this should have the number two within it).
8. Select each mat one at a time and ensure the mirror function is active (the slide should be green), doing this will ensure the design displays correctly once ironed onto the garment. Once complete click ‘Continue’ located in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
9. Once through to the cutting screen, click ‘Browse Materials’ and type ‘SportFlex’ into the search bar and select it from the search results. Follow the on-screen instructions to cut out the designs.
10. Once cut, carefully weed each of the designs using the BrightPad and your weeding tools.
11. Use Cricut’s Interactive Guide » to determine the best settings to set your EasyPress to, then adhere the designs one at a time to the top. We started with the name first, then added the butterflies one at a time.