Cricut: How to Make a Journal
Start 2019 off on the right foot with this mini journal, ideal for formulating holiday plans, jotting down to-do lists, and remembering those all important dates. Use your favourite patterned papers to decorate the front and add in as many pages as you like to see you all the way through 2019!
Please note: The below Cricut Design Space instructions are for use when using the app on an iPad, some differences will occur if using the app on your desktop of mobile device, i.e. layout of the canvas.
- Cricut Explore Air™ / Air 2™ / Maker™ machine »
- Cricut Design Space™ online software on pc/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android »
- Cricut 12”x 12” Standard Grip (green) Cutting Mat »
- Hobbycraft A4 White Premium Card »
- First Edition 6” x 6” Wild Flower Paper Pad »
- A5 Champagne Gold Glitter Card »
- Cricut Scoring Stylus »
1. Using your iPad, log on to your Design Space™ account and make sure you are connected to your Cricut digital cutting machine. Within projects, search for ‘journal’ and select the project with a multi-circle front.
2. Select the ‘Customise’ button from the project pop-up.
3. Drag a selection box over all of the project elements, open the ‘Edit’ menu and amend the width of the project to 40cm.
4. Select the front cover of the journal, then open up the ‘Layers’ tab from the bottom toolbar, scroll to the grey-ed out section, click on the eye icon at the bottom of the ‘Layers’ menu.
5. The eye icon will then have a line through it and parts of the front cover will disappear – you should have a canvas that looks similar to the below.
6. Click on the eye icon once more, the journal cover will reappear along with a score line, positioned centrally along the width of the journal.
7. Select four patterned papers from your patterned pad, then click on the grey circles and open the ‘Actions’ menu, select ‘Detach’.
8. Select one of the circles and amend the colour. To do this, open the ‘Layers’ tab, and click on the arrow to the left. Select a colour similar to one of the sheets of patterned cardstock you intend to use. Close the ‘Layers’ tab by clicking on the ‘Layers’ icon.
9. Click on the coloured circle, then select ‘Duplicate’ three times so that you have four circles all the same colour.
10. Delete three of the grey circles by clicking the red cross located in the top left-hand corner (this will appear once the shape has been selected).
11. Repeat steps seven to nine three more times, so that you have four sets of four circles, with each set being a different colour. You should have a canvas that looks similar to the below –
12. Select the ‘Make it’ button from the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
13. You will then be taken through to the mats screen. Amend the material size on each of the mats to A4/11” x 8.5”. To do this select the square with the number 12 located in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
14. Select the mat, then select the arrow to the right of ‘Material Size’. Select 8.5” x 11”. Repeat this process on all of the remaining mats.
15. Once all of the mats have been amended, select ‘Continue’ from the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, and follow the on-screen prompts to cut out the journal. Make sure to insert the Scoring Stylus into the accessory port A when told.
16. Carefully remove each cut image from the cutting mat, then place double-sided tape (folded in half along the long edge), along the creased inside spine of the cover to attach one folded insert page. Repeat the same process for the remaining insert pages, creasing the whole journal along the spine as each is added.
17. Use a glue pen to adhere each of the patterned paper circles on to the underlying insert page. To ensure perfect alignment, gently push the cut-out circle through the front cover.
18. To complete, glue the glitter cardstock ‘Journal’ into position on the front cover using a glue pen.