Your Cricut Explore ‘Merry Christmas’ Tree Card
Make personalised Christmas cards or table place names using the Cricut Explore or Explore Air and its online software, Design Space. The name and greeting can be altered to suit the recipient writing with any font stored on your system as well as Cricut fonts.
With a variety of pens colours available, the whole project can be coordinated. Add bright mini pompoms to deliver more festive cheer.
- Cricut Explore / Explore Air machine »
- Cricut Design Space software
- 12 by 12 inch Standard grip cutting mat »
- 12 by 12 inch Coloured cardstock – dark green »
- Cricut vinyl – linen »
- Cricut vinyl Transfer Tape »
- Wooden star embellishments »
- Mini Pompoms »
- Cricut Scoring Stylus »
- Cricut pen – black »
- Cricut tool set »
- PVA glue »
1. Connect the Cricut Explore or Explore Air to the PC/laptop/Mac, log on to your Design Space account and create a new project. Click ‘Insert image’ and search for ‘Christmas Tree’. Locate and select the ‘Christmas Tree’ (#MEFB20 from Home Organization cartridge).
2. In the layers window, hide the bottom layer of the image, leaving just the tree shape and ‘ungroup’ the image set. Resize the image as required by first highlighting the image and then dragging the corner point. The size appears in a black text box as the image is altered. For this project, the image was resized to be 6 by 5.5 inches.
3. Once resized, copy and paste the image and drag one of the images to one side. Flip this image vertically and drag to line up with the top of the other tree image. Highlight the complete image and weld them together.
4. Click ‘Insert shapes’ and select the score line. Drag the score line across the tree image where the two trees meet; ‘attach’ it to the image.
5. Click ‘Insert image’ and search for ‘Merry Christmas’. Select the required image: this project used #M363B9. In the layers window, change the image to a ‘write’ image by clicking on the icon. Resize to fit the tree image. Attach the wording to one of the tree panels.
6. ‘Add text’ and type the name required. From the edit window, select a font; the project used ‘Simple Celebrations’ font.
7. Score and cut the card base from dark green cardstock, inserting the scoring stylus and pen into the accessories port of the dual Cut Smart™ system when prompted and selecting ‘Cardstock’ on the Smart Dial™. Cut the name from linen vinyl and selecting ‘Vinyl’ on the Smart Dial™.
8. Carefully remove the cut images from the cutting mat using the spatula; this will minimise the damage to the image and mat.
9. Fold the tree card along the scored lines.
10. Use the transfer tape to apply the name to a wooden star embellishment. Glue this to the top of the tree card. Glue mini pompoms on to the card front.