Crafty Makes with Glitter
I love glitter, I just never really know what to do with it. Usually most of the glitter ends up on my carpet rather than the item I originally stuck it to! But then I was told about a new way of applying it that would mean no more glittery carpet; simply mix the glitter in with clear drying glue (I used PVA) before applying it to your make. This way you can build up as many layers as you like, and then once happy with the coverage you apply a final coat of just the glue and then leave it to dry for a final time.
Top tip! If you want some sections of your jar to be glitter free use a low tack adhesive tape and mark out these areas, then apply the glitter mixture. The tape will then need to be removed before the mixture dries, as the glue will dry over the tape and will therefore come off when the tape is removed.
You will need How to Make
I made some beautiful vases from upcycled jars, prettied up with some unloved glass candle holders, all in all a resounding success. Here’s how I made them –
- Mix the glitter with the glue (I used PVA).
- So that I had clean lines I used tape to mask off the sections where I didn’t want the glitter to be.
- Apply the glitter mixture to the jar.
- It is important that the tape is removed BEFORE the glue dries.
- Once the first coat of the glitter mixture has dried, apply as many as you like, leaving each layer to dry before applying the next.
- For the final coat apply a coating of just glue, and leave to dry.
- The finished vase. For this one I covered the whole jar in glitter and applied 2 coats.
- For the pink glitter vase I applied more layers to the the bottom of the jar than the top for a graduated effect.
I also experimented with glitter glue
, I applied it in exactly the same way as the glitter that I’d mixed with PVA however, I did not apply a final coat of glue. I found that it dried a lot quicker than the mixture I’d used on the jars. The end results were very effective, with the candle holders looking pretty with and without lit candles in them.
There are so many different things you can do with glitter, take a look at the Hobbycraft Glitter Pinterest Board
; full of beautiful glittery project inspiration!
Shop the project
Shop online to order everything you need to complete this project.