A Step-by-step Guide to the Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System
Add beautiful foil and holographic effects to all manner of craft projects with the help of the Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System! The stunning foils can be added to lots of different materials, including cardstock, denim, ribbon and even leather, making the hot Glimmer hot foil system a must-have no matter what your craft specialism.
- Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System »
- Die-cutting Machine* »
- Spellbinders Glimmer Foil – the multi-pack is ideal for getting started »
- Spellbinder Glimmer Plate »
- Material to foil onto
*Only compatible with die-cutting machines that can take thicker steel rule dies
- Start by selecting your Spellbinders Glimmer Plate and Glimmer foil.
2. Plug the hot foil system in and wait for the ‘Platform Ready’ light to turn green. Whilst waiting, trim your chosen foil to size using the plate as a guide, trim away any excess foil from around the plate using a sharp pair of scissors to avoid any stray foil markings.
Top tip: Cut the corner of the foil to prevent the corners from curling up.
3. Once the ‘Platform Ready’ button glows green, carefully place your chosen Spellbinders Glimmer Plate flat side down onto the pre-heated platform.
Top tip: Use the grids on the platform as a guide when positioning the plate, this will help you to make sure the design is in the exact position you want it – use the magnetic metal tweezers included in the box to help with this.
4. Once happy with the position of the plate/s, press the timer button and wait until the light turns solid green.
5. Place the Spellbinders Glimmer Foil shiny side down on top of the heated glimmer plate, followed by your chosen material and the required shims (please refer to the instruction leaflet included in the box for help on what you should use).
6. Carefully remove the platform and sandwich, and slowly roll it through your die-cutting machine, forwards and backwards.
7. Remove the shims from the platform, then slowly peel the foil from the material. Place the foil remnants to one side and remove the foiled material.
Use the magnetic metal tweezers to remove the plate from the platform and place on the Silicone Cooling Pad (ALWAYS use the tweezers to remove the plate, do not use your hands, the plate will be hot!) until it has completely cooled.
8. Trim your foiled material to the required size and add to your project as desired.
Top Tip: The Spellbinders Glimmer plates can also be used with ink to letterpress into card and paper stock, simply ink up your chosen plate, place it on the Glimmer platform, then add your desired material on top (along with the relevant shims) and run it through your die-cutting machine.