2 Ways to Decorate a Mache Unicorn Head
Unicorns are magical and mythical creatures that have always captured people’s imaginations. With them brings joy and wonder, hence the reason that they are so popular and trendy! Why not have a go at creating an enchanting paper mache unicorn head to bring a little magic into your home? Perfect for all ages, this would be a stunning piece of decor to put up in just about any room in your house.
Instructions and photos by Charlotte Bullock and Kirsty Robertson.
Floral Unicorn Head
Skill Level : Beginners
Time to Make : One hour plus drying time
1. Begin by painting all of the unicorn head, covering both the mane and facial features using an acrylic paint and a large paint brush. Leave to dry and then repeat this step again until the surface has been covered well.
3. Now to decorate the horn for the unicorn! Use a brush to cover the entire horn in Mod Podge glue and then using a glitter shaker, apply the first layer of glitter onto the glue and leave to dry. Repeat this process once or twice more to layer up the glitter, this will create a well covered finish.
4. Get your glue gun at the ready! Time to start sticking all the flowers you have chosen onto the unicorn head.
Skill level : Beginner
Time to Make : Two hours (plus drying time)
- Paint brush
1. Paint the Mache Unicorn Head all over with pale pink acrylic paint. You will need 2 – 3 coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next.
2. Paint one coat of Decopatch Glitter Glue over the top of the pink paint to seal it and add a glittery finish.
3. Whilst the glitter glue is drying, move on to the horn. Apply a generous layer of PVA glue over the entire horn. To catch loose glitter, fold a sheet of paper in half and make a sharp crease before opening it up again. Shake plenty of glitter over the entire horn and prop up against on object whilst it drys completely. Take the sheet of paper holding the excess glitter and use the centre crease as a funnel to pour the glitter back into the original container.
Top Tip!…When covering the horn with glitter, stand the base of the horn in a large lump of blu-tack or play-doh to keep it upright whilst the glitter dries.
4. Apply a generous layer of PVA Glue to the insides of both ears and pour the iridescent hearts all over the glued area. Allow to dry completely before shaking off excess hearts.
5. Cut two sets of eyelashes from black felt and glue underneath the eye sockets.
6. For the mane, cut 1cm wide strips from the sheets of white glitter felt. Apply a layer of PVA glue along the top right of the Unicorn head and stick felt strips, glitter side down, all the way along the top of the head. Allow to dry, then flick the felt hair over to cover. Repeat for the left hand side of the head.
7. Cut four shorter strips of felt for the hair at the front of the Unicorn and glue in place using the same method in step 5. Trim lengths if required.
8. Apply a layer of glue all around the inner edge of the hole for the horn. Push the glitter horn into the hole and allow the glue to set completely.