Your Cricut Explore Triangle Gift Box
This triangle gift box project creates a plain card box that is then embellished with a written tag, leaf, spiral flower and vinyl wording. All the elements are cut using the Cricut Explore Air or Explore Air 2 and its online software, Design Space.
- Cricut Explore Air or Explore Air 2 machine »
- Cricut Design Space online software on pc/Mac/iPad/iPhone
- Images from Fancy Boxes, Paper Lace and Flower Shoppe cartridges »
- 12” x 12” standard grip cutting mat »
- 12” x 12” Coloured cardstock » – cream, aqua, green, pink
- Cricut Vinyl – flamingo »
- Cricut Transfer Tape »
- Cricut tool set; scraper, spatula, weeder »
- Cricut scoring stylus »
- Cricut pen – Midnight »
- Cricut Papercraft Tool Set – quilling tool »
- Twine »
How to Make
1. Using a laptop/Mac/iPad/iPhone, log on to your Design Space account and make sure you are connected to your Explore machine. Open a new project and the image library. Search for and select the following images from the relevant cartridges:
Fancy Boxes – Triangle Fold Over Box M97A01
Flower Shoppe – Leaf 3D Flower M44A9E
Spiral Flower M4431D
Paper Lace – Flower Tag M414B7
2. Resize the images: first highlight the image then either use the ‘edit’ tab and input the sizes or drag the resize button on the highlight marks until the desired measurement is shown in the black box.
Triangle fold over box – 6.6”w x 6.3”h
Leaf – 1”w x 1.6”h
Spiral Flower – 4”w x 3.7”h
Flower Tag – 2.3”w x 2.8”h
3. Create a text box; ‘Treats’. Change the font type (Fontastic Fonts – DJ Smitten) and resize to fit the side of the box panel.
4. To add text to the tag, first highlight the tag image then ‘ungroup’ the layers in the layers tab. Drag the two layers apart. Open a text box and select the font (Fontastic Fonts -DJ Smooth) and type ‘For Someone Special’. Change the font to ‘has writing style’, centre the text, reduce the line spacing and resize the text to fit within the solid tag layer.
5. Cut all the images from the desired cardstock and ‘Treats’ from vinyl; following the on-screen prompts to insert the scoring stylus or Cricut pen into the accessory clamp.
Use the scraper tool to apply the resources to the cutting mat to ensure good contact.
6. Carefully remove each image from the cutting mat using the spatula tool.
7. Remove the unwanted vinyl from the ‘Treats’ image using the weeder tool.
Use the Transfer Tape to position the wording on the side of the box: cut transfer tape slightly bigger than the wording; remove the backing from the Transfer Tape and position the tape on top of the image, rub over the top with the scraper tool; carefully peel away the backing sheet of the vinyl and position the image where required; rub over the image with the scraper tool and carefully peel away the Transfer Tape.
Make sure the bottom of the wording is at the bottom edge of the box side or it will be upside down!
8. Use the scraper tool as a bone folder to crease the score lines on the box. Glue the tabs of the box to the adjacent sides. Close the tabs of the box.
9. Use the quilling tool to roll the spiral flower and secure it with hot glue.
10. Shape the leaf using the scraper tool.
11. Hot glue the flower and leaf to one of the box flaps so that the box can still be opened.
12. Use PVA to glue the tag layers together. Secure the tag to the top of the box either with glue or tied with twine.
Try a different look by using pink cardstock and a different flower; for this one, you will need to use everything above, plus the Spiral Flower image from the Flower Shoppe cartridge, resized to
2.5” x 2.3”. Follow the instructions above, then assemble the flower by hot glueing the flower tab to the adjacent petal. Use the quilling tool to roll the spiral flower and secure it with hot glue. Glue it into the centre of the 3D flower.