Start the countdown to Christmas with this gorgeous traditional advent tree calendar. It’s an easy festive project for everyone to get involved with and you’re sure to have great fun as you open the drawers leading up to the big day!
Project with thanks to Debbie Thorne
Traditional Advent Calendar Tree Project
Suitable for : Beginners
Time to Make : Two to three hours plus drying time
You Will Need
- Wooden tree advent
- Off white craft acrylic paint
- Selection of decorative papers
- Red and white advent number toppers
- Wooden star
- PVA glue
- Hot glue gun
How to Make
1. Remove the drawers from the advent and paint the entire advent with a watered-down (50:50) coat of paint to give a vintage ‘washed’ appearance. Leave to dry.
2. Cut the patterned papers into squares (approximately 2 centimetres in width and height), and one at a time, apply glue liberally to each drawer front. Apply the paper squares, then brush glue over the top of the paper to glaze.
Top Tip . . .Ensure a small amount of each edge square of paper wraps around the drawer front for a neat finish.
3. Whilst you are waiting for the drawer fronts to dry, cover the front of the wooden star in a thin layer of PVA glue and then sprinkle over the gold glitter. Leave for a minute or so and then tap off the excess. Once completely dry cover with another thick layer of PVA to help keep the glitter in place.
4. Cover half the drawers in each design. Once completely dry, arrange in a random pattern.
Top Tip . . .Any wrinkles will smooth out once the glue is dry.
5. Use a hot glue gun to attach the number toppers to the drawer knobs, and the wooden star to the top of the advent.
The finished advent!