Take a flight of fancy with this cute little patchwork owl that is an easy project for beginners into needlecraft. Owls are perennially popular, so he’d make a wonderful gift for someone special, unless you couldn’t bare to part with him of course! All you need to get started is some thread, fabric, needles and buttons – most of which you’ll probably find lying around the house.
Time to make : Around two hours
Suitable for : Beginner
What You Need
How to Make
- Start by choosing the fabric and the buttons that you want to use to apply to the stuffed owl.
- Cut 1 cm wide strips of your chosen fabric using pinking shears.
- Starting at the bottom of the owl stitch on the fabric strips using a whip stitch.
- Continue to layer the fabrics, working up the body to the top of the owl slightly overlapping the fabric strips as you go.
- Once the whole of the front of the owl is covered in the fabric strips, repeat the process on the back of the owl.
- Using the stuffed owl base as a guide, cut the strips to the shape of the owl using pinking shears.
- Apply the buttons for the owls eyes and the beak by hand stitching them on, making sure to go through the calico base fabric as well as the top layer of fabric.
- Using embroidery threads, embroider two wing outlines using a continuous running stitch.