Mikey the Monkey Hand Puppet
This felt stitched monkey hand puppet is a real character – and great for story telling! Make Mikey the Monkey to help to conjure their big imaginations – and you’ll all have fun making this cheeky chappy come to life!…
Time needed : Around three hours
Skill level : Intermediate
- Using the template cut out all the required pieces.
- Sew the inner ears to the outer ears then sew the tummy onto the body and sew the arms together.
- Put the ears in place (as marked) between the face and back pieces of felt. Pin all layers together and then sew using a simple overstitch.
- Fold the mouth piece in half and stitch along folded edge with a running stitch. This prevents the mouth opening too wide and getting stuck.
- Sew the bottom lip to the body (B to B), then the top lip to the nose (A to A).
- Lay the body on top of the back and line up the nose with the face (C to C), overlapping the felt by about 1cm. The body will be longer than the back at the base of the puppet.
- Stitch the nose to the face then attach the eyes. You can use buttons, felt shapes, beads or teddy bear eyes. Note: where you place the eyes really alters the character of the puppet.
- Start sewing each side of the body together inserting the arms about 5 cm down from the mouth.
Decorate your puppet by making hats, necklaces, glasses or other accessories of your choice.