Inspired by Kirstie Allsopp
Not quite content with just making pom poms from wool and yarn, I’ve also been making them from tissue paper inspired by Kirstie Allsopp and her Crafty Christmas show on Channel 4.
These are super quick to make (only taking around 20 minutes) perfect for beginner crafters. These statement poms look great as centrepieces at wedding receptions and parties, or clustered in a corner of a room in your home, or simply just hung from the ceiling; top tip, clusters of these look great together, try to stick to three colourways so as not to make it look to busy.
You Will Need -
How to Make
- Start by layering around 8 rectangular sheets of tissue paper on top of each (you can add in more layers if you would like a bushier pom).
- Concertina fold the sheets together making each fold around an inch in width.Continue to concertina the tissue paper until the whole of the sheet has been folded.
- Round the ends by trimming the tissue paper with scissors.
- Cut a 40cm length of jewellery wire. Securely wrap and tie this around the centre of the folded tissue paper.
- Start separating the individual layers of tissue paper from the centre, making sure to separate an equal amount of tissue paper to both the front and back of the pom (if you separate all of the sheets to the front of the pom you will end up with a flat back).
- Once you have separated all of the sheets of tissue paper find the ends of length of wire used in step 5 and hang in place.
Hints and Tips
- Why not try alternating different coloured layers of tissue paper for a multicoloured pom?