Meet Shimelle! London-based scrapbooker, Shimelle Laine created her first scrapbook while she was at university. She has now worked in the scrapbook business for more than a decade – designing products, editing books and magazines and leading workshops. Check out her blog at shimelle.com for lots more ideas, tutorial videos and online crafting classes.
How to Make a Modern Scrapbook Page
Many scrapbookers start out by creating an album for a new baby or a wedding, but you can include your everyday life too. I like making a page each year to record what’s happening now.
Time to make : Around one hour
Skill level : Beginner
You Will Need
- Scrapbooking papers
- Letter stickers
- Frame topper
- Foam squares
- Glue dots
- Die cut toppers
- While gel pen
How to Make
- Choose two patterned papers and cut one smaller to leave a border around the edge.
- Crop a photo to fit the frame topper. I trimmed half an inch from two sides of a four inch print.
- Once you’ve found the right spot for your framed photo, create a diagonal line of embellishments. These are all pre-printed die cuts, so they’re very easy to add to the page – just glue dot and add them into place! I like to put the largest elements on first, then another layer and place the smallest layers on foam squares to create a 3D effect. Use the same die cuts in the top corner too.
- Do your title with a mix of letter stickers and add a date in the top corner. I love letter stickers that come with asterisks, like many of the American Crafts Thickers collections.
- Write on your favourite things, current goals and so on. A white gel pen is good for writing on darker papers.