How to Make Halloween Potion Cupcakes
Bubble, boil and brew your own witch’s concoction with these yummy potion cupcakes from our friends at Wilton! Grab some spooky sprinkles and edible eyes to complete these easy Halloween bakes, then finish off with the star of the show – Shot Toppers filled with lime marmalade!
Makes 12 cupcakes.
For the Cupcakes
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract »
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
For the Decoration
1. Preheat oven to 200°c.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time with a tablespoon of flour in-between each one, then fold in the rest of the flour until all combined. Add a little milk, as you feel needed, to get a nice dropping consistency.
3. Scrape the mixture into the cake cases, and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins or until a light golden colour and a cake tester comes out clean. As soon as bearable, remove the cakes from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. Mix the Creamy Decorators icing in a bowl, add in some of the Leaf Green Icing colour gel using a clean cocktail stick each time until the desired green has been achieved (very bright green works best in the case!)
5. Prepare the piping bag with the Wilton tip No.12 and half fill with the icing.
6. Starting in the centre of the cake, pipe round in a tight spiral until the cake is completely covered and then pull away.
7. Sprinkle the top of the cake with a mixture of the Halloween sprinkles. Repeat for all 12 cupcakes.
8. Fill the Shot Topper Skull. First gently loosen the marmalade/jam by warming slightly in a bowl in the microwave. Cut the end off the Shot Topper as per the pack instructions. Gently squeeze the skull before inserting the cut end into the marmalade, then release to allow the marmalade to be sucked up into the skull cavity. Push the stick into the cupcake to serve.
9. Before eating gently squeeze the skull to release the yummy contents into the cake – delicious!
Your skull Shot Toppers can also be used with alcohol for grown up party treats!