How cute is this Easter bunny cake with her cute ears and whiskers? Use your favourite flavour of sponge to make the base of the cake (vanilla with buttercream filling would taste delicious!), and then simply pipe on the buttercream ‘fur’ and add on the bunny’s sugarcrafted facial features, et voilà! You have yourself an Easter Bunny cake.
If you would prefer a different colour bunny cake, colour your buttercream using food colouring, and thoroughly mixing through before piping it onto your cake.
How to Make an Easter Bunny Cake
Suitable for: Intermediates
Decorating time: Two to three hours
You will need
- Six inch round cake
- 450 grams of buttercream
- Renshaw icing in white, pink and black
- Gum Tragacanth
- Grass piping nozzle
How to make
1. Take two golf ball sized pieces of white icing and knead into each ball a pinch of gum tragacanth.
2. Shape each ball into a pointy rabbit ear approximately four inches long and use your thumb to make a hollow within each. Insert a cocktail stick into the base of each ear.
3. Add some pink icing to each ear, again using your thumb to make an indentation in each to give it shape and depth.
4. Shape a pea-sized amount of pink icing into a triangular nose and cut out two one inch circles of white icing for the cheeks.
5. Leave all the icing elements to dry and harden – these can be made a few days in advance.
6. To decorate the cake, first cover it all over with a three millimetre thick layer of buttercream.
7. Fill a piping bag with buttercream and attach the grass piping nozzle.
8. Start at the base of the cake and holding the nozzle at a 90 degree angle from the cake, apply firm pressure to squeeze out the buttercream to attach it to the cake, then pull away sharply leaving the strands of ‘fur’. Continue all around the base of the cake, and then work your way up a row at a time.
9. Cover the entire cake with the piped buttercream.
10. Stick the ears into the top of the cake and add the nose and cheeks.
11. Roll six pea-sized balls of black icing, keep two for the eyes and roll the other four into long whiskers and attach to the cake.
12. Add ribbon around the cake drum and embellish with icing flowers if liked.