How to Make Air Dry Clay Heart Bowls
There are a million and one things you can use air drying clay to create, from gift tags to magnets, tealight holders to home decorations, it’s an incredibly versatile product perfect for both little ones and adults alike.
I’ve been itching to have a go at creating a bowl using clay for a little while, and as Valentine’s day is coming up I used some heart cutters and alphabet stamps to create some heart bowls of my very own . . .
Suitable for: Beginners
1. Start by rolling out the air dry clay until it’s the thickness of a one pound coin.
2. Using cookie cutters cut hearts from the clay and leave to dry in a bowl, or another rounded object lined with cling film.
3. Leave to air dry until the whole of the heart ‘bowl’ has changed colour to a lighter shade of grey/white.
4. Once completely dry paint with your chosen colour of craft paint.
Top Tip!…Dependent on the colour of paint you’re using you may need to do more than one coat. Wait until the first coat is dry before doing another.
5. After the final coat of paint has dried apply two coats of gloss varnish.
6. To create a bowl with a stamped greeting simply use alphabet stamps to imprint the clay whilst it’s still wet.
Top Tip!…To create a patterned bowl lay a piece of fabric (lace works best) over the clay whilst it’s still wet and then lightly rollover it with a rolling pin.